Document destruction or paper shredding is essential or, rather, critical for safekeeping of confidential information. Most people make files or documents of their sensitive information and maintain a record of them. These documents can be bills, financial information, marketing plans, financial statements, delivery packages, or employee files. Government offices, large corporations, noncommercial organizations, or even small businesses use shredders to destroy this information that might bring them trouble if they fall into the wrong hands. Shredders shred these papers or items into small pieces, and they are then sent off to be recycled.
Some laws actually penalize you if there improper disposal of documents containing personal information, sensitive content, or confidential data. Organizations can face legal and financial consequences for not getting rid of personal data like obsolete employee records.
Cases of identity theft are prevalent too, and they have become an increased threat with the advancement of technology and reach of the Internet. Any personal information like name, delivery address, billing information like card number, or bank account details is a potential threat if not supposed of properly. Paper shredders are thus a lifesaver, as well as a savior of the planet in a way since the paper is cut up and recycled.
Table of Contents
Best Buy Paper Shredder Consumer Reports
Are you looking to purchase a paper shredder for your office or organization? Here is a list of the 10 best paper shredder as per consumer reports for you, so that ones you can get online as per your need, just take a look.
1. Fellowes Powershred Paper Shredder
This powerful paper shredder as per consumer report is 100 percent jam-proof and is crosscut. The machine shreds 18 sheets of paper per pass, which means, every time it is loaded. The papers are shredded into 397 crosscut shreds, each measuring 5/32 inches by 1/12 inches. Besides paper, this shredder is great for shredding even difficult materials like staples, paper clips, credit cards, CDs or DVDs, and junk mail. It can run for a maximum time limit of 30 on and 40 minutes off. This paper shredding machine is suitable for 1 to 3 users. It comes with a safe sense of technology that stops the shredder immediately when it detects hands touching the paper opening. The pull out bin has a capacity of 9 gallons with a 9-inch wide slot for paper entry and an LED indicator. The width of the throat is 230.
- Shreds up to 18 sheets of paper every pass into 397 crosscut particles. Works even with staples, paperclips, credit cards, CDs, or junk mail.
- The runtime of 30 minutes on or 40 minutes off; Amps is 5.
- Completely jam proof to get rid of paper jams and power through difficult jobs. Safe sense technology immediately stops the shredder when hands are detected near the paper opening.
- Pull out bin with LED indicator and a 9-inch slot for paper entry with a capacity of 9 gallons.
- The throat width is 230.
- The capacity of 18 papers per pass is more than those offered by most regular bins.
- It comes with safe sense technology that stops the machine whenever a hand is close to the paper entry slot, to prevent hazards and accidents during usage.
- Large capacity of the bin that allows a lot of space for the shredded papers.
- Runs for a long time of 30 minutes at one go.
- Requires a cooling period of 40 minutes for every 30 minutes of continuous shredding done by it.
- Larger in size compared to regular home shredders.
2. Bonsaii Paper Shredder
This is a compact paper shredder with a simple design that makes it easy for use in an office as well as your home. It can shed up to 10 sheets of paper per pass, and papers are shred into small cross-sections. This shredder is ideal for shredding ATM receipts, payment stubs, credit card bills, and other confidential but unwanted documents. It is even powerful enough to destroy credit cards so it can help you get rid of expired or unused credit cards without leaking your confidential personal information. It contains a 5.5-gallon wastebasket with a big transparent window to accommodate the disposal of all your crosscut shredded waste papers.
- 10 sheets of paper per pass cut into crosscut shreds.
- Operating the machine is simple and easy, and it comes with light indication overload and overheats protection that helps you use it without worries and prolongs its lifetime.
- 5.5 gallon capacity of the waste bin that can hold up to 320 sheets of paper. It also comes with a large transparent window that allows you to see when the bin is full.
- It has a running time of 4 minutes and cool downtime of 40 minutes.
- Comes with a warranty period of one year.
- The wastebasket is large and comes with a transparent window that lets you see when the bin is full, so you don’t need to frequently empty the bin or check whether it needs to be cleared out or not.
- Running time of 4 minutes is too short in comparison with a cool downtime of 40 minutes.
3. AmazonBasics Paper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder
This machine shreds multi-paged documents into crosscut shreds at one single go and can accommodate up to 8 sheets of paper per pass. This shredder can also be used to destroy credit card bills, ATM receipts, mortgage statements, insurance packets, payment stubs, and other unwanted information. Credit cards can be shredded one at a time and there is no need for staples or paper clips to be removed beforehand. This scheduler minimizes any possible chances of you falling victim to identity theft. CrosscutCrosscut shredders provide more security than strip-cut, and with this AmazonBasics paper shredder, you are getting security as well as value for money.
- Shreds paper into crosscut sections; can shred up to 8 sheets of paper at a time.
- 3-minute continuous runtime with a 30-minute cool-down period and an LED indicator for overheating situations.
- 4.1-gallon waste bin capacity that comes with see-through windows for easy understanding of when the bin needs to be emptied.
- Comes with a warranty period of 1 year.
- Small and compact for home use.
- It comes with a 4.1-gallon waste bin with transparent windows that allows you to check when the bin needs to be emptied.
- LED indicator for overheating situations.
- Short runtime of only 3 minutes that requires a 30-minute cool downtime.
- Only 8 sheets of paper can be accommodated at one time.
4. Aurora Professional Paper and Credit Card Shredder
This Aurora professional paper and credit card shredder can shred up to 12 sheets of paper into crosscut sections at a single go. It comes with a 4.5-gallon waste bin that can accommodate a large amount of shredded paper. Its security level is P-3. Besides paper, this machine can also shred credit cards that can immensely help you protect your vital information from reaching the wrong hands. The shredder has a throat that measures 8.7 inches, which is pretty wide for people’s entry; it can shred paper for a continuous-time of 3 minutes. The device also contains an integrated handle to empty the 4.5-gallon waste bin easily.
- Takes up to 12 sheets of paper and shreds then into cross-sections; can shred paper clips and staples too.
- Has a security level of P-3.
- Has a continuous runtime of 3 minutes.
- Power switch comes in 4 modes- auto, off, reverse, and forward; equipped with overload indicator and thermal protection.
- 4.5-gallon waste bin that comes with an LED indicator.
- 12 sheets of paper can be shredded at a time, which is higher than most shredders offer at a price.
- Thermal protection and overload indicator equipped for easy understanding and simplicity of usage.
- Only 3 minutes of continuous runtime was offered.
- It cannot take tough jobs like shredding CDs or DVDs.
5. Royal 1840 MX Paper Shredder
Easy to install and simple to use, this consumer report paper shredder that is perfect for office use comes with rollers underneath it to allow easy locomotion. It can shred up to 18 sheets of paper at a time and shred them into tiny crosscut sections. The runtime of this shredder is longer than any of the shredders we have previously mentioned in this list; it can run for 60 continuous minutes! The capacity of the water bin is also larger at 8.5 gallons. This will ensure that a lot of shredded paper can be collected into the water basket before it needs to be cleared out.
- The product features in the platinum series of the brand.
- The runtime is 60 minutes.
- 18 sheets of paper can be shredded into tiny crosscut sections at a time.
- 8.5 gallon wastebasket capacity that has a pull-out feature to enable easy clearing out.
- Comes with roller wheels for locomotion.
- Wheels at the bottom make it movable, which is a feature we haven’t seen in any of the previous shredders.
- The runtime of 60 minutes is longer than ordinary shredders and truly sets it apart.
- 8.5 gallon capacity of wastebasket is a large size offered, which can hold a large amount of paper shredding before it needs to be cleared out.
- Large size makes it less suitable for home use.
6. TRU RED Auto-feed Commercial Paper Shredder
This commercial paper shredder takes a load of your personal documents down to 1200 particles for a standard letter size paper! It provides complete micro-cut shredding for other documents like staples, paper clips, credit cards, etc. Its security level of P-4 is also more advanced than the other shredders we have seen in this list previously. It provides higher protection for your personal documents, financial information, and prevents you from identity theft. 10 sheets can be shredded into micro-cut sections at one go, and the machine has a continuous runtime of 10 minutes with a cool-down period of 60 minutes. A 6 gallon capacity of the waste bin is available, which makes sure that a lot of shredded papers can be stored in it until it needs to be cleared out. The bin has an interlocking system that makes sure that the shredder won’t work unless the bin is completely attached to the machine and is fully engaged. It also has an LED indicator that allows you to see whether the bin is full or not. Other essential features include auto start and stop, anti-jam, overload indicator, and auto-reverse.
- 10 sheets of paper can be fed at a go, and each will be shredded into 1200 micro-cut pieces; can also shred paper clips, stapler pins, and credit cards.
- P-4 rated security for increased protection for your personal and confidential information.
- 6 gallon capacity waste bin attached that will not allow the machine to start until it is completely attached.
- 10 minutes of runtime offered and 60 minutes of cool downtime required.
- Shreds paper into micro-cut particles, which is the most secured out of all sorts of cuts available in paper shredders.
- P-4 rating of security assures higher protection to your personal documents and files.
- It comes with features like overload indicator, automatic start, stop and reverse, and anti-jam.
- The bin has to be attached perfectly for the machine to start working. This provides added protection against accidents or malfunctions.
- 10 minutes of runtime succeeded by 60 minutes of rest and cool downtime.
- It can take only 10 sheets at a time.
7. AmazonBasics Paper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder
This shredder thoroughly shreds multi-page documents into tiny crosscut strips. It can also be used to destroy credit card bills, ATM receipts, payment stubs, mortgage statements, insurance packets, and other such personal but unwanted documents. Paper clips and staples can also be shredded with this machine. In auto mode, the shredder starts its work as soon as it detects something to be shredded in the entry slot. The shredded materials get stored in the 3.8-gallon waste bin. The reverse mode helps clear any kind of paper jams in the shredder. The machine runs for a continuous time period of 2 minutes and requires a cool-down period of 30 minutes. If the machine runs beyond its running time, which is 2 minutes, it will heat up and automatically shut down to protect the machine’s motor.
- Crosscut shredder that can be fed up to 6 sheets at a time.
- 2 minutes of continuous runtime followed by a 30 minute rest period.
- Auto start and manual reverse options available that helps you run the shredder seamlessly and easily, avoiding paper jams.
- The throat is 8.7 inches wide, and the waste bin is 3.8 gallons, and they come again with thermal protection as well as automatic shut down.
- 1 year warranty period available.
- It is perfect for a small business or home office where it can be placed under a desk and used almost all day long.
- Crosscut strips ensure more protection than strip-cut strips.
- Effortless removal of shredded materials from the bin.
- Runtime is only 2 minutes per cycle after which, it requires a 30 minute cool down period.
- 6 papers can be shredded at a single go, which is quite less.
- 3.8 gallon waste bin is smaller in comparison to other shredders, which have a minimum of 4-gallon bin space.
8. Ideal 2465 Cross Cut Deskside Paper Shredder
This Ideal 2465 cross-cut paper shredder is convenient and powerful and can be placed at your desk side easily. It provides very high security against identity theft or misplacement of personal information with a security rating of P-5. This shredder is thus, the highest rated in security, in this entire list! The machine is even federally accepted as one of the highest safeguards of personal information and the destruction of private documents.
The machine has solid steel cutting heads that reduce the downtime while shredding materials inside it. 9.5 inches of throat width for paper entry is available in this shredder. It is impact-resistant, easy to move, and light in weight. The waste bin is of 9-gallon capacity, and there is a safety shield present in the feed to protect against accidents. The 3/4 horsepower motor ensures that 343 sheets of paper is shredded in one minute and 9 to 11 sheets chewed at a time.
- Tears through 343 sheets per minute and shreds them into tiny cross-cut sections; can intake 9 to 11 papers at once.
- P-5 level of security, which is the highest in this list so far!
- Fast shredding along with minimal downtime and a quiet but powerful single phase motor with 3/4 horsepower.
- Shreds paper clips and staples easily with its hardened steel cutting shafts.
- Safety shield provided in the feed opening to avoid fingers or hands (or ties, etc.) to get damaged in the shredder accidentally.
- Auto power cut and reverse, as well as jam prevention technology available.
- 9.5-gallon bin provided to store the shredded materials for a long time.
- Solid steel cutting shafts are made for tough jobs like paper clips and credit cards.
- P-5 security rating, which means you have no worries about your personal information being in danger.
- Safety flap in the feed opening does not allow hands or fingers to stay close to the cutter and avoids accidents.
- The multifunctional control element makes use of optical signals for indicating its operational status and can also function as an emergency stop switch!
- This shredder has every need covered! There is nothing that you need to worry about when you have this amazing paper and credit card shredder sitting at the bottom of your desk!
9. Embassy Paper and Credit Card Shredder
This shredder can shred all kinds of unwanted stuff like paper, credit cards, paper clips, staples, CDs, and DVDs until micro-cut sections with high security. The way this machine destroys your unwanted documents with personal information into mulch and confetti, there is nothing you need to worry about in terms of identity theft and personal information misplacement. If can be fed with 12 sheets at a time. The waste bin’s capacity is 4.2 gallons that can hold a lot of shredded items until it needs to be finally cleared out. The shredder also comes with a warranty period of 1 year.
- 12 sheets of paper can be fed at a single go, and the papers will be cut up into tiny micro-cut confetti.
- Can cut up paper clips, staples, credit cards, CDs, and DVDs as well.
- High-security level so that you can sit in peace while your personal information is being cut up and prevents led from getting into the wrong hands.
- 4.2 gallon capacity of the waste bin to allow a lot of micro-cut items to be stored for a long time until they need to be cleared out.
- Micro-cut shreds offer high security from security threats and identity theft.
- Available in an eye-catching red color that can brighten up any workspace.
- 12 papers can be fed at a single go, which is higher than many of the shredder’s features in this article.
- The bin size is small compared to the number of shredded materials that will be generated.
10. EZBASICS 5-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder
The EZBASICS 5-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder is a perfect paper shredder for both home and office use. It is very easy and safe to use because, according to the EZBASICS manufacturers, this crosscut paper shredder got the P-4 Badge of higher security. The measures of cutting paper from this device also seem quite good; it can shred the paper into the measures of 3/19 by 1-3/16 inches.
- The manufacturers claim that this shredder can shred the papers, credit cards, staples, and small paper clips.
- Because of its small, compact, and modern looking design, it can easily give your office or study space a modern and attractive look.
- It can shred five sheets of normal thickness of paper at a time, which shows that it is a pretty powerful shredding machine.
- This particular model of sheet shredder is famous for its easy plus quiet operations because it only produces 58 decibels of sound.
- According to EZBASICS, this shredder can run continuously for 5 minutes before needing the rest.
- 3.1 gallon of capacity for the bin seems ideal for this type of compact paper shredder.
After every five minutes of continuous shredding, you have to stop the shredding tasks for 30 minutes to give this machine a rest.
Boxis AutoShred Paper Shredder
This Boxes Autoshred paper shredder can easily handle the continuous and long runtime because, according to the manufacturers, this machine/device can shred 90 sheets in one go. However, it takes nearly one minute to shred the A4 size of eleven sheets automatically. And if you do the same manually, then you can shred up to 8 sheets per minute with this shredder.
- It can destroy or shred the paper, other documents, credit cards, paper clips, etc. in both crosscuts and micro-cut.
- This one also got the P-4 level of security badge that indicates that it is safe to use a paper shredder for every user.
- 3.6 gallons of primary bin’s capacity seems perfect for collecting the shredder paper of a large task without needing dumping.
- The throat entry width is up to 8.66 inches that seems more than enough for this shredding machine.
- It produces nearly 70 decibels of sound while shredding, and if you are not in a silent place, you won’t notice this type of low noise.
- Few users complained that sometimes they need to make some adjustments after turning it on the auto shredding.
How You Can Pick The Best Paper Shredder
There is no doubt that paper shredders are still the most reliable option to dispose of essential documents. The importance goes on to the next level when it comes to disposing of sensitive documents. But people find themselves a bit confused while choosing the right type of paper shredder, but don’t worry here we are going to tell you how you can pick the best paper shredder.
Home or Commercial Paper Shredder:
The first thing that you must decide is what purpose you are buying a paper shredder for. The simple and easiest way is to look at your requirements, and then you will easily find it out. But let’s keep it simple and understandable, so if you are only willing to dispose or shred some papers or sheets a week, then surely the home use of paper shredders are perfect for you. However, if you want to use the home use of paper shredders in a small office, you can also do it. But if you want to shred multiple and many sheets per day, then don’t choose a small office or home use one. Straightly go with the commercial paper shredders only, because, in this way, you can ensure to get the better shredding capability and better speed.
However, where the regular use or home uses of paper shredder comes with less capacity to shred multiple sheets at a time. That’s why they usually have a longer cooling time between two shredding sessions. However, it is not only about the capacity, speed, and cooling time, there is one more thing that also matters a lot, and we are talking about the ability to shred different materials. We suggest that if you have decided to buy a paper shredder in the year 2020, then there is no doubt that you should choose an option that can shred multiple materials or sheets like CDS, normal paper, hard-covers, filled envelopes, staples documents, etc.
On the basis of the cut type, there are three types of paper shredder present in the market. It is the point that confuses many people while choosing the right option related to a paper shredder, but let’s take a look at it in the simplest way. The first and most common type is the strip cut, as its name suggests that strip cut paper shredder can shred any paper, document, or other material of things into thin strips. But from a security perspective, it is not that good option. And at this time, the cross-cut type of shredder comes into play; in this type of shredder, you can get the strip cutting on the next level. The cross-cut type of shredder can cut or shred the paper into cross strips instead of just simple straight strips.
The last but not least option is the micro-cut, which is the most popular type of paper shredder in the market. Suppose you are very conscious about security. In that case, a micro-cut paper shredder is a perfect option because it can cut a paper or document into thousands of micro and diamond-shaped pieces.
Frequency of Use:
Frequency of use is also the main point that people usually ignore while choosing the best paper shredder. If you are willing to use a paper shredder multiple times a day, then for sure, you should go with an option that has a decent cooling time between two shredding sessions. Usually, the cooling time varies between 20 to 90 minutes, but we suggest that it would be great if you buy a paper shredder that should have very low cooling time as possible.
Here we are trying to address the importance of additional features like indication lights when the bin gets full, additional security sensors, less power consumption, noise reduction, and automatic cleaning cycle. And not only this, but there are many other additional features present, and we are suggesting you go with a paper shredder that has this type of feature because it can enhance the overall user experience.
Maintenance Also Matter:
Indeed, paper shredders don’t require a lot of maintenance efforts, but yeah, you should prefer oiling it after a specific time. However, the primary maintenance task is to dump the shredded paper when the primary bucket or bin gets full. In this case, we suggest that you prefer buying a shredder that must have an easy dumping system like a drawer bin, or easy detaching bucket or shred collector.
So, these were the 10 best paper shredders available in the market in the present day. Did you find one that you think would make a good addition to your office or home workspace? We look forward to making ourselves useful by providing you all the information you need before making an important purchase. Hope you found this article helpful!